Sunday, December 10, 2006

December 8 – The Competition

After Robin left me on the roof, I had a run-in with Epiphany. She had the nerve to comment about my relationship with Robin. That was the last thing I needed to hear from her. I gave her a run down of the pecking order around the hospital. I know it won’t do me any good, but it felt good at the time. At least until she threw the fact that my relationship with Robin is pretty public anyway. That’s none of her business. The only thing she should be worried about is making sure my patients are checked.

Dad walked up to the nurses’ station just as Epiphany walked away. I didn’t need a run-in with him, too, and I told him so. Instead of lecturing me, he offered me an ear and some advice. I think I understand better what happened to him when Mom died. He lost the person that was most central to his life and he felt guilty that he was still alive and fear that he might lose someone else. That’s why he’s never tried to be in another relationship. That also explains Robin better. While I’ve thought I was in competition with Stone for her affection, I’ve really been a source of her distress. Or the possible loss of me is a source of her distress. I have no doubt that she loves me. I just don’t know how to help her move past her fear of losing me or losing love again. I can’t promise to always be there, because accidents happen everyday. But I can promise to love her and be there for as long as I can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home